Saturday, July 23, 2011


After what seemed like hours of driving I am brought into this garage which frankly looks like a place you bring a witness to, simply to kill them. That would be icing on the cake. They kill the wrong dude so have to cover it up with killing the right dude. Guess I don’t need to call my mother. “So guys I know I was suppose to die in my office and that would have been pretty epic, but changing it to a parking garage? Come on I know you can do better than that!” The Lieutenant guides me to this elevator he need to scan to enter. Not going to lie it was pretty sweet. He doesn’t say a word so I am assuming no one appreciates my comment. Still we shoot up seven flights of stairs and get to this floor where people seemed all hopped on coffee and adrenaline. “Now this is where I should have been working. You hiring.”
“Daniel take Mr. Brooks to the holding room. Let him use the phone to call whoever he needs. I am sure he must be hungry or thirsty so bring him that as well.”
“Yes sir. This way Mr. Brooks.”
Charlie is still awestruck by the office, and being offered complementary thinks. What kind of place could this be. “Got it. See ya Lieutenant.”
“Mr. Brooks do you need anything else Daniel will be happy to get it.” The Lieutenant leave them and walk up to his office which is at the top all glass so he can over see all that is happening in the office.
“Damn this place is like 24. Does Jack Bauer work here? Or Jason Bourne? Come on that would be awesome.”
“Follow me Mr. Brooks.”
“Damn no one has a sense of humor around here.”
Daniel stop turns and looks me right in the eye. “I understand your in shock or whatever this is your going through, but a man is dead. He was suppose to be you dead. Sure you feel like your given a second chance but show some respect and stop talking and joking like a prick.”
“Listen I know I say random things but I can’t help it. Filter has been shut down from dead dude, to car ride, coming to this secret place, people all crazy around me, so year I am doing to say some ridiculous things. Deal. I am not a terrorist or anything. Just a guy from Jersey living a life I was told I was. So embrace or just give me some food and a red bull.”
Daniel turns and bring me to this office with bagel, muffins, donuts and coffee. I have to wait on the red bull but hey this lay out is sweet. Daniel then brings in a phone as well. “You may want to tell people your not really dead. We will take care of the news.”
“I was on the news!”
“Mr. Brooks, a shooting happens in New York City inside of an office building where most the employees are white and many people shot, it’s going to make the news. This is the 21st century.”
“Right.” I grab the phone wondering if I am going to be left a long but does not see likely. I start dialing my parents. My mother is probably going to be hysterical.
“Hello.”
“Ma’ it’s Charlie.”
“Who?”
“Charlie, your son.”
“Oh hi. Aren’t you suppose to be at work?”
“Yeah listen mom has anyone called you today?”
“Yeah why?”
“Did they call about me?”
“Yeah they said you were dead. But on the phone with you so they are clearly wrong.” Typically mother response.
“Alright ma’ I’ll get back to work.”
“Okay, that’s why you called?”
“Yeah.”
“Okay, don’t slack at work that wont pay off your bills.”
“Got it ma’ bye.” I hang up shock that my mother didn’t care I was dead. Who was that I was just talking to?

No comments:

Post a Comment