Monday, October 18, 2010

Generation

I used to think that each generation was one in the same. In a sense it is but now I am realizing it truly is not. I feel so bad for my generation and younger. They do not know the social disconnect we all share. When our friend is sitting right next to us we will text and have our own private conversation. Why not talk to them?! They are next to you. But oh goodness our others friends that are there which we are suppose to be hanging out with are sitting there and we don't want them to know what we are talking about.
I will admit I am guilty of this crime too. I will be with friends and something with come up and I want to share it so I text that one person. My other friends might want to know too. They could even enjoy what was going on around us. However I keep them out. Why? We are all guilty of this and it has gotten to a point of being normal. How is this a normal behavior? We lose empathy for people. We loss the joy others can give us. We loss our creativity. Those are crimes in which we cannot go back.
We have all seen it. When was the last time an original movie came out? One that was not made from a copy of a book, copy a cartoon, redone a movie, or had a new storyline? Everyday is a new day but we continue to live in the past. There have been a few books that have changed and written what we have not read before. When I look at books now I see a new memoir written about a celebrities life.
The classics are in the back of Barns and Nobles while the celebrity memoir is up front. Are people going to buy books that have been around for years that will change their life? Or grab and "easy read" about a celebrity that is all over the magazines, but we don't know the truth about what really happens in their life. It is a memoir. Read a classic Keep those a live.
I will start reading the books I have heard so much about but have not read because I hear of these other stories and I finish them quickly. I will read through the list of books my Creative Writing professor has given me:
Angela's Ashes Frank McCourt
Tuesday's with Morrie Mitch Albom
Note found in a bottle Susan Cheever
Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life J.M. Coetzee
Colored People:A Memoir. Henry Louis Gates
The Shadow Man Mary Gordon
Daddy We Hardly Knew you Germaine Greer
Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia Marya Hornbacher


All Souls: A family story from Southie Michael Patrick MacDonald
Are You Somebody Nuala O'Faolain
Dubliners (Stories) James Joyce
The Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad
Dangling Man Saul Bellow
Seize the Day Saul Bellow
Ravelstein Saul Bellow
The old man and the Sea Ernest Hemingway
The Sun also Rises Ernest Hemingway
A Farewell to Arms Ernest Hemingway
A Separate Peace John Knowles
Slaughter House Five Kurt Vonnegut
The Color Purple Alice Walker
Jazz Toni Morrison Beloved Toni Morrison
Sula Toni Morrison A Mercry Toni Morrison
Interpreter of Maladies Jhumpa Lahiri (Stories)
Unaccustomed Earth Jhumpa Lahiri (Stories)
The Namesake Jhumpa Lahiri Madame Bovary Gustave Flaubert

The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
This Side of Paradise F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Book of Evidence John Banville
The Death of Artemio Cruz Carlos
Fuentes Mrs. Dalloway Virginia
Woolf Light in August William Faulkner
Sanctuary William Faulkner
Native Son Richard Wright
The Invisible Man Ralph Waldo Ellison
The Fifth Child Doris Lessing
Love Medicine Louise Erdrich
Tracks Louise Erdrich
Love in the Ruins Walker Percy
The Catcher in the Rye J. D. Salinger
How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents Julia Alvarez
Love in the time of Cholera Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Wise Blood Flannery O'Connor
Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck
The Dark John McGahern
Slow Man J. M. Coetzee
Disgrace J. M. Coetzee
Waiting for the Barbarians J. M. Coetzee

I will Read this list. I will continue to add on stories but will also add on a review of these books. If any other book stand out to you which I should read please comment. I hope that you also feel incline to read a book. Reading gives us knowledge, creativity, and can bring new friendships.
Let us get our generation involved, social, creative, and gain knowledge.

- Seeking Originality

No comments:

Post a Comment