Tuesday, April 19, 2011

“Taisha what the hell, why does Desiree come back to my house saying there is a naked man in your bathroom.” Crap.
“Jeremy get in my closet.” Jeremy runs to the closet while I grab pants to put on to make my way down the hall to meet Andre as he’s coming up the stairs. “Andre what?”
“Don’t what me! Desiree came over yelling about how she gets home to find a naked guy basically out on display. Are you seeing someone?!”
“There wasn’t a naked man on display. I don’t know she said she say someone but when I got there no one was there.”
“So are you calling our daughter a liar?”
“No. Andre calm down.”
“You know why I’m also upset. I was here, with you. You turned me down.” Why did he have to bring that up. I move past him to make my way downstairs. “Taisha, where are you going?”
“To get some water. Care to join me.”
“Water? What about some red drink? Do you have any red drink?”
“I have to go to the store to get some.” I am at the bottom now and he can’t but help put his arm around my waist. This move gets me every time. I freeze with chills going up my spine.
“Desiree went to a friends.” I can’t make a sound. He’s kissing my neck and I am paralyzed. I look out the window to see Zola making her way to the front door. Taisha knows she wont knock so jumps in a panic.
“Zola’s a’comin stop!” That name always gives Andre’s chills. She is about the age of both our parents and has that effect to make everyone put on their best behavior.
“Zola?! I got to get out of here. You know what that womens like.” I love seeing Andre scared. Zola lived across the street from Andre when he was growing up. He was afraid to play in the front yard because she might tell him he could do something better or yell at him for making noise. He was more afraid of Zola finding out about him getting into trouble then his own mother. Zola was like a grandmother to him. “I could sneak out the back door. Yeah that’s what I’ll do.” Just as Andre turns to make his way for the door Zola is knocking on the door and walking in.
“Andre! I thought I saw you running down here earlier. Glad I got to see you. Been a long time.”
“Zola. Is hasn’t been that long.” Putting on a school boy face he makes his way over to her giving her a kiss on the check. “What can I get for you.”
“Nothing silly. This ain’t your house. I’ve come to talk to Taisha, this is her house isn’t it. Smart of her living next door to me when you left her, she knew you’d give her space.”
“Zola!”
“Don’t Zola me, now scat, I need to talk to her.”
“Taisha I will see you tomorrow. Zola, always a pleasure.”
“Mhmm. Bye now.” Zola has a careful eye on Andre watching him turning down the porch and walking to his car. “Taisha, what do you think you are doing?”
“What?”
“Don’t what me. I know for a fact there is a boy here and he is not here for you daughter. Or that your ex just happens to come in the middle of the night.”
“Zola I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I turn walk towards to kitchen. “Could I grab you a cup of tea?”
“Taisha it is me your talking to. I don’t gossip. I hear the gossip and come a runnin’ to you. But when you come up in the gossip I need to start cracking some skulls.”
“People are talkin’ ‘bout me?”
“Yes honey. Now you see why I needs to come ova here to see what is going on in the think little skull of yours. Andres is no good for you. He tried being your husband and a father. He couldn’t do that. Now this boy comin’ here, what makes you think he could?”
“Zola, I.” Taisha just stares at the floor beginning to shake. Then collapses with Zola catching her.
“Damn child. Whenever you gets in a panic you go to fainting. One day this wont work.” Zola puts Taisha on the couch and heads to the kitchen to make tea while waiting for Taisha to awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment